This text based 5 session English planning links to the idea of falling into a pond. Various themes are explored: the environment of a pond, safety and feelings. In this unit pupils learn to add labels and join in to create a story based on the poem.
All aspects of poetry from the national curriculum in reading, spoken language and writing composition will be covered across the full set Au1-Su2.
EYFS skills for this unit based on Development Matters:
Communication & Language:
- Understand how to listen carefully and why listening is important
- Learn new vocabulary
- Begin to use vocabulary throughout the day
- Describe events in some detail
- Beginning to use talk to help work out problems and organise thinking and activities explain how think work and why they might happen
- Read individual letters by saying the sounds for them
- Blend sounds into words so that they can read short words made up of known letter-sound correspondence
For schools that use Pathways to Write, this unit aligns with the Sp1 set 1 unit.
Poems for this unit can be found in:
Step Back in Time: A Poetry Anthology collated by The Literacy Company (included with the poetry unit)