This unit of work is based on The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle. The fascinating journey of a tiny seed’s journey across hazardous landscapes to find a suitable place to grow.
Short writing opportunities:
What is a Stepping Stone?
Stepping Stones are our short term literacy plans for teachers which introduce our text-based mastery approach to writing.
Each plan comprises 15 sessions to teach a small number of key writing skills from the national curriculum. Throughout the unit of work, pupils are given the opportunity to repeatedly practise these skills through meaningful short pieces of writing linked to the text. This builds towards a final extended writing task in which pupils can apply the skills with confidence and independence.
• Key activities for each session
• Examples of grammar skills pupils are expected to use
• Focus vocabulary and links to common exception words and NC word lists
• Essential resources included for the activities
• The first session is a ‘hook’ for learning
• Suggested challenges for those learners targeted to reach greater depth in writing
• Opportunity for pupils to explore the genre of the final writing outcome in more detail
These plans will give you a flavour of our more comprehensive, award-winning writing programme Pathways to Write.
We've hand-picked some related resources you might be intesrested in.