In this text based, 5 session English planning, a 5-couplet poem is supplemented by other seasonal verses to develop descriptive language. Simple analysis of language features allows pupils to create a seasonal ‘character’ of their own as the basis of their poem.
All aspects of poetry from the national curriculum in reading, spoken language and writing composition will be covered across the full set Au1-Su2.
National curriculum skills for this unit:
- Build vocabulary
- Speak audibly and fluently
- Gain, maintain and monitor the interest of the listener(s)
- Prepare poems and play scripts to read aloud and to perform
- Show understanding through intonation, tone, volume and action
- Discuss words and phrases that capture the reader’s interest and imagination
- Explain meaning of words in context
- Plan writing by discussing the structure, vocabulary and grammar of similar writing
- Discuss and record ideas
- Read aloud own writing using appropriate intonation and controlling the tone and volume so that the meaning is clear
For schools that use Pathways to Write, this unit aligns with the Au2 set 1 unit.
Poems for this unit are included in the unit and online