Pathways to Read
Pathways to Read is a brand-new programme designed to equip pupils from Year 2 onwards with key skills to move them through the reading process towards becoming competent and fluent readers. To support this approach, clear detailed lesson plans and resources are linked to high-quality texts. Pathways to Read ensures engaging and purposeful reading lessons.
The units can be used thematically alongside our award-winning programme Pathways to Write to encourage a whole school curriculum approach with the opportunity for topics to link across all year groups. Both programmes compliment one another. However, they can both be used successfully as a stand alone programme.
Key elements of Pathways to Read:
- Six detailed units of work for each year group from Year 2 to Year 6
- Progressive development of reading skills following a mastery approach
- Flexible combination of whole class and grouped reading sessions
- Progression document to support mixed-age classes
- Inspiring and engaging texts
- Fully resourced sessions, including teacher PowerPoints for whole-class reading sessions
- Develops reading comprehension skills through the mastery approach
- Links creatively to the wider curriculum when combined with our Pathways to Write product
Pathways to Read follows a mastery approach to learning with three categories of skills developed each half term:
- Ongoing skills - linked to text choices and achieved through selection of teaching activities
- Core skills - prediction, vocabulary development and retrieval
- Mastery skills - 2-3 objectives are focused on for pupils to master over the course of the half-term
The children are much clearer in what they need to include in their writing and I love the way the planning returns to teaching points to consolidate learning
‘The planning already seems to be having an impact in our school after one term. The children are much clearer in what they need to include in their writing and I love the way the planning returns to teaching points to consolidate learning. The books are really engaging too and allow for lots of links with reading skills.’
Assistant Deputy Headteacher, Upper KS2 Leader, New Brighton Primary School
Pathways to Read is an innovative, exciting and inclusive sequence of learning…
Pathways to Read is an innovative, exciting and inclusive sequence of learning which engages children with the many aspects of the National Curriculum through high-quality texts.
In these testing times, reading is an essential resource for escape and the planning units and slides that the Literacy Company provide, allow access to many wonderful worlds. Our children get to discover these worlds from the comfort of their classroom in a low-threat, high-impact environment. I would highly recommend these units to any teacher - they provide your students with a pathway to learning ... and imagination.
Subject Leader - St Bernards Primary School Cheshire
|Pathways to Read Full Package||£ 1,575.00|
|Single Year Group||£325.00|
|Y2 Cycle B price for existing Pathways to Read schools||£225.00|
|KS2 only (Y3-Y6)||£1300.00|