This text based 5 session English planning engages pupils with the outdoors and encourages them to look with new and focused eyes at the wonder and detail of the world around them and to consider how it makes them feel. In this unit, phonic knowledge, speaking and listening and writing skills are developed throughout.
All aspects of poetry from the national curriculum in reading, spoken language and writing composition will be covered across the full set Au1-Su2.
EYFS skills for this unit based on Development Matters:
Communication & Language:
- Use new vocabulary in different contexts
- Articulate their ideas and thoughts in well-formed sentences
- Use talk to help work out problems and organise thinking and activities
- Read simple phrases and sentences made up of words with known letter-sound correspondences and, where necessary, a few exception words
- Form lower case and capital letters correctly
- Spell words by identifying the sounds and then writing the sounds with letter/s
- Re-read what they have written to check that it makes sense
For schools that use Pathways to Write, this unit aligns with the Su1 set 1 unit.
Poems for this unit can be found in: The Barefoot Book of Earth Poems and The Sun in Me: Poems about the Planet compiled by Judith Nicholls