In this text based, 5 session English planning, pupils use the night sky as inspiration to write a shared class alphabet poem. They add their own verse to a moonlight senses poem and make an imaginative ‘starry list’ verse for display, using -ed verbs.
All aspects of poetry from the national curriculum in reading, spoken language and writing composition will be covered across the full set Au1-Su2.
National curriculum skills for this unit:
- Ask relevant questions
- Maintain attention and participate actively in collaborative conversations
- Speak audibly and fluently
- Discuss word meanings, linking new meanings to those already known
- Draw on what they already know
- Check that the text makes sense
- Participate in discussion about what has been read to them
- Compose a sentence orally before writing it
- Discuss what has been written with the teacher or other pupils
- Read aloud their writing clearly enough to be heard by their peers and the teacher
For schools that use Pathways to Write, this unit aligns with the Su1 set 1 unit.
Poems for this unit can be found in:
The Barefoot Book of Earth Poems ed. Judith Nicholls