This text based, 5 session English planning explores the popular rhyme using animation, drawing and nonsense words. Pupils analyse language, learn part of it by heart and experiment with words and patterns to add to a class version based on the structure of the classic poem.
All aspects of poetry from the national curriculum in reading, spoken language and writing composition will be covered across the full set Au1-Su2.
National curriculum skills for this unit:
- Give well-structured descriptions, explanations and narratives
- Use spoken language: speculating, hypothesising, imagining and exploring ideas
- Speak audibly and fluently
- Continue to build up a repertoire of poems learnt by heart
- Check that the text makes sense
- Participate in discussion about books, poems and other work
- Write poetry
- Write down ideas, key words, new vocabulary
- Read aloud with intonation
For schools that use Pathways to Write, this unit aligns with the Au2 set 1 unit.
Poems for this unit can be found online