In this text-based, 5 session English planning, a wide variety of poems are explored linking to the theme of the sea. Pupils experiment with personification and learn a range of descriptive techniques. They use a map of the world to plan events for a poetic sea journey.
All aspects of poetry from the national curriculum in reading, spoken language and writing composition will be covered across the full set Au1-Su2.
National curriculum skills for this unit:
- Build vocabulary
- Maintain attention and participate actively in collaborative conversations
- Use spoken language: speculating, hypothesising, imagining and exploring ideas
- Speak audibly and fluently
- Participate in discussions, presentations, performances, role play, improvisations and debates
- Read and discuss a wide range of texts
- Identify and discuss themes and conventions
- Learn poetry by heart
- Prepare poems and plays for performance
- Check sense, discuss understanding and explore meaning of words in context
- Identify how language, structure and presentation contribute to meaning
- Evaluate authors’ language choice
- Note and develop initial ideas, drawing on reading and research
- Enhance meaning through selecting appropriate grammar and vocabulary
- Describe settings, characters and atmosphere
- Propose changes to vocabulary, grammar and punctuation to enhance effects and clarify meaning
- Use consistent and correct tense
- Perform own compositions using appropriate intonation, volume and movement
For schools that use Pathways to Write, this unit aligns with the spring 2 set 1 unit.
All poems for this unit can be found in: I Am the Seed that Grows the Tree: A nature poem for every day of the year edited by Fiona Waters.
The supporting texts for the units of work can be purchased at Peters Ltd at 30% off the RRP price of the books*:
Please contact Oonagh Towse firstname.lastname@example.org 07815 557646
Or, place your order online using discount code ‘LITCO30’ Click here for details
*You will receive 30% discount off the RRP on the vast majority of books ordered for the Pathways to Read and Pathways to Write programmes. Items excluded from this offer: book packs, plus short discount items (a small number of academic titles, big books, and audio titles). This offer may not be used in conjunction with any other promotion.